Thursday, April 26, 2012

Safety Tips

Having just returned from a press trip to Puerto Rico with a dozen or so around-the-nation journalists where we talked travel, here are some safety tips I picked up. Two of the travel writers, a married couple, shared the recent incident their son and his family experienced in San Antonio.  While out to dinner, they returned to their room at a top hotel on the Riverwalk to find themselves robbed.  The hotel became involved as did the police.  Here's what they were told:  1) never stay in a room near the elevator (easy getaway); 2) never put a do-not-disturb sign on the door when you go out (it's a sure signal you're away and the coast is clear); never put your valuables in the room safe (most hotel employees have a card to swipe the safe). 

I know, I know, this is likely disturbing because you probably break each of these "rules."  I certainly do and will no longer stay near an elevator or use the DND sign; however, what about my valuables??  I'm certainly not going to walk around Buenos Aires or New York or wherever with my passport, computer, all my camera gear, jewelry, all my cash, every credit card, etc.  One of the fellow journalists puts his valuables in his dirty laundry.  Any other ideas?
Photo by Cynthia Dial

1 comment:

  1. Savvy traveler and blog follower Gail shares this:
    I put jewelry inside a tooth brush holder.
    I have had my room scouted twice. Once in Cuba and they never looked in my toiletry bag.
    My tip when traveling is to always clean the TV Remote Control.

    ReplyDelete